Friday, October 16, 2009

Follow Your Own Advice

In past blog posts I have talked about promoting imaginary play, having fun, and encouraging kids to be who they are. I have had quite a busy week that actually included a couple of motivating presentations by speakers at events I attended. I also read a lot of books in whatever free time I can find and I have found a recurring them in the chosen books about setting goals, having a vision, and following your dreams.

I've been thinking a lot about the choices in my life and where it has led. I am very thankful for so many wonderful opportunities and events that I have experienced. I also think about my parenting style and how I work hard to make my kids believe that they have the power to do whatever they want. But something happens in life...the rules change.

When I was in kindergarten I remember the teaching asking me what I wanted to be. I said I wanted to be an astronaut and go to space. She said, "That is wonderful! You can do whatever you want just follow dreams."

When I was about to graduate high school a teacher asked me what I was going to do. I told him that I was going to be an entrepreneur and start a business. He said, "Oh you better get a college education and be realistic. Business is tough".

So what happened? When did the rules change? When did I lose my ability to do whatever I wanted and need to follow the 'realistic' route?

Now some would say that we are lying to our kids and telling them they can do things they really can't or probably won't. I believe that we are doing the right thing by encouraging our kids to dream big. But, we as adults need to remember to follow our own advice.

No comments: